TOTAL HIP ARTHROPLASTY FOLLOWING OPEN REDUCTION AND INTERNAL FIXATION FOR DISPLACED ACETABULAR FRACTURES
Fractures of the acetabulum are difficult to treat and even after fixation they can lead to posttraumatic arthritis and avascular necrosis of the femoral head. Total hip arthroplasty has been the most common surgery performed for the complications of posttraumatic arthritis and avascular necrosis of the femoral head. Aim: To evaluate the links between acetabular fracture type, radiological and clinical outcomes of open reduction and internal fixation, and clinical outcomes of total hip arthroplasty. Material and methods: One hundred thirty-two patients with acetabular fractures were treated surgically at the Trauma Department of “Sf. Spiridon” County Clinical Emergency Hospital from Iasi. Fifteen patients underwent THA for posttraumatic osteoarthritis or femoral head avascular necrosis following open reduction and internal fixation for acetabular fractures. Clinical and radiographic examinations were performed at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, and annually thereafter. Patients were assessed clinically using the Harris Hip Score and radiologically with Matta outcome grading. Heterotopic ossification was classified according to Brooker grading. Results: Mean Harris Hip Score has improved from 55 before conversion to 90 at 6 months after THA. No dislocation, deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary thromboembolism, new nerve injury, and heterotopic ossification occurred. Conclusions: The conversion to total hip arthroplasty after posttraumatic arthritis and avascular necrosis of the femoral head in acetabular fracture can lead to reasonable pain relief and functional improvement.
2. Filip A, Veliceasa B, Puha B, Filip C, Popescu D, Alexa O. Bisphosphonates Influence and Pain Assessment in Mobilization of Patients with Fragility Fracture of the Pelvis. Rev Chim (Bucharest) 2019; 70(3): 1094-1097 / doi: 10.37358/RC.19.3.7071.
3. Veliceasa B, Filip A, Pertea M, Popescu D, Carp C, Alexa O. Omega plate for the treatment of ace-tabular fractures involving the quadrilateral plate. Exp Ther Med 2021; 22(4): 1064 / doi.org/ 10.3892/etm.2021.10498.
4. Malancea RI, Gavriliuc ER, Veliceasa B, Puha B, Popescu D, Alexa O. Methodology of Three-dimensional Printing in Acetabular Fractures. Mater Plast 2017; 54(3): 513-516 / doi: 10.37358/ MP.17.3.4883.
5. Letournel E, Judet R. Fractures of the acetabulum. 2nd edition 1993. New York: Springer-Verlag.
6. Giannoudis PV, Grotz MR, Papakostidis C, Dinopoulos H. Operative treatment of displaced fractures of the acetabulum - a meta-analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2005; 87(1): 2-9.
7. Daurka JS, Pastides PS, Lewis A, Rickman M, Bircher MD. Acetabular fractures in patients aged > 55 years a systematic review of the literature. Bone Joint J 2014; 96(2): 157-163 / doi: 10.1302/0301-620X.96B2.32979.
8. Badulescu OV, Sirbu PD, Ungureanu C, et al. Orthopedic surgery in hemophilic patients with muscu-loskeletal disorders: A systematic review. Exp Ther Med 2021; 22(3): 995 / doi : 10.3892/etm.2021. 10427.
9. Mears DC, Velyvis JH. Primary total hip arthroplasty after acetabular fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2000; 82a(9): 1328-1353.
10. Makridis KG, Obakponovwe O, Bobak P, Giannoudis PV. Total hip arthroplasty after acetabular fracture: incidence of complications, reoperation rates and functional outcomes: evidence today. J Ar-throplast 2014; 29(10): 1983-1990 / doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2014.06.001
11. Alexa O, Puha B, Veliceasa B, Pãduraru D. Posterior dislocation of the hip associated with ipsilateral trochanteric fracture - a very rare case. Chirurgia (Bucur) 2009; 104(6): 761-764.
12. Romness DW, Lewallen DG. Total hip arthroplasty after fracture of the acetabulum. Long-term results. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1990; 72(5): 761-764 / doi: 10.1302/0301-620X. 72B5. 2211750
13. Weber M, Berry DJ, Harmsen WS. Total hip arthroplasty after operative treatment of an acetabular fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1998; 80(9): 1295-1305 / doi: 10.2106/00004623-199809000-00008
14. Chung TC, Chen TS, Hsu YC, Kao FC, Tu YK, Liu PH. Long-term total hip arthroplasty rates in patients with acetabular and pelvic fractures after surgery: A population-based cohort study. PLoS One 2020; 15(4): e0231092 / doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0231092
15. Letournel E. Acetabulum fractures: classification and management. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1980; 151: 81-106.
16. Letournel E. Acetabulum Fractures: Classification and Management. J Orthop Trauma 2019; 33(Suppl 2): S1-S2 / doi: 10.1097/BOT.0000000000001424.
17. D'Antonio JA, Capello WN, Borden LS, et al. Classification and management of acetabular abnor-malities in total hip arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1989; 243: 126-137.
18. Harris WH. Traumatic arthritis of the hip after dislocation and acetabular fractures: treatment by mold arthroplasty. An end-result study using a new method of result evaluation. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1969; 51(4): 737-755.
19. Matta JM. Fractures of the acetabulum: accuracy of reduction and clinical results in patients managed operatively within three weeks after the injury. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1996; 78(11): 1632-1645.
20. Brooker AF, Bowerman JW, Robinson RA, Riley LH Jr. Ectopic ossification following total hip replacement. Incidence and a method of classification. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1973; 55(8): 1629-1632.
21. Alexa O, Malancea RI, Puha B, Luncă S, Veliceasa B. Results of surgical treatment of acetabular fractures using Kocher-Langenbeck approach. Chirurgia (Bucur) 2013; 108(6): 879-885.
22. Alexa O, Pertea M, Malancea RI, Puha B, Veliceasa B. Our experience in the surgical treatment of acetabular fractures using “spring plate” technique. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 2019; 123(2): 275-281.
23. Pertea M, Velenciuc N, Poroch V, et al. Efficacy of Negative Pressure Therapy (NPWT) in the Man-agement of Wounds of Different Etiologies. Rev Chim (Bucharest) 2018; 69(8): 1980-1986 / doi: 10.37358/RC.18.8.6458
24. Ovidiu A, Stefan GT, Dragos P, Bogdan V, Dana AI. Survival of nonagenarian patients with hip fractures: a cohort study. Acta Ortop Bras 2017; 25(4): 132-136 / doi: 10.1590/1413-7852201 72504 167561.
25. Ioan B, Alexa T, Alexa I. A medico-legal view on the importance of the external examination of the traumatized patient. Rom J Leg Med 2014; 22(2): 127-132 / doi: 10.4323/rjlm.2014.127
26. Briffa N, Pearce R, Hill AM, Bircher M. Outcomes of acetabular fracture fixation with ten years’ follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2011; 93(2): 229-236/ doi: 10.1302/0301-620X.93B2.24056.
27. Mears DC, Velyvis JH, Chang CP. Displaced acetabular fractures managed operatively: indicators of outcome. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2003; 407: 173-186 / doi: 10.1097/00003086-200302000-00026.
28. Murphy D, Kaliszer M, Rice J, McElwain JP. Outcome after acetabular fracture. Prognostic factors and their inter-relationships. Injury 2003; 34(7): 512-517 / doi: 10.1016/s0020-1383 (02)00349-2.
29. Moed BR, Yu PH, Gruson KI. Functional outcomes of acetabular fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003; 85(10): 1879-1883. / doi: 10.2106/00004623-200310000-00002.
30. Alexa-Stratulat T, Neagu M, Neagu AI, Alexa ID, Ioan BG. Consent for participating in clinical trials - Is it really informed? Dev World Bioeth 2018; 18(3): 299-306 / doi: 10.1111/ dewb.12199.
31. Ranawat A, Zelken J, Helfet D, Buly R. Total hip arthroplasty for posttraumatic arthritis after acetabular fracture. J Arthroplasty. 2009, 24(5):759-767. / DOI: 10.1016/j.arth.2008.04.004.
32. Salama W, Ditto P et al. Cementless total hip arthroplasty in the treatment after acetabular fractures. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol 2018; 28(1): 59-64 / doi: 10.1007/s00590-017-2021x.
33. Scott CEH, MacDonald D, Moran M, White TO, Patton JT, Keating JF. Cemented total hip arthroplasty following acetabular fracture. Bone Jt J 2017; 99(10): 1399-1408 / doi: 10.1302/ 0301-620X.99B10.BJJ-2016-1261.R2.
34. Lizaur-Utrilla A, Sanz-Reig J, Serna-Berna R. Cementless acetabular reconstruction after acetabular fracture: a prospective, matched-cohort study. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2012; 73(1): 232-238 / doi: 10.1097/TA.0b013e31824cf39e.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form