ARTERIAL STUMP MEASUREMENT: QUALITY INDICATOR IN COLORECTAL SURGERY
Measuring quality of surgery in colorectal resections for cancer has become an important subject of research since the principles of total mesorectal excision (TME) for rectal cancer and complete mesocolic excision (CME) for colon cancer have been brought forward. CME surgery proved to decrease local recurrence in colon cancer to 3.3%. Similarly, TME was shown to drastically improve surgical outcomes in rectal cancer.
2. Bertelsen CA, Neuenschwander AU, Jansen JE, et al. Disease-free survival after complete mesocolic excision compared with conventional colon cancer surgery: A retrospective, population-based study. Lancet Oncol 2015; 16: 161-168.
3. Livadaru C, Morarasu S, Frunza TC, et al. Post-operative computed tomography scan - reliable tool for quality assessment of complete mesocolic excision. World J Gastrointest Oncol. 2019; 11(3): 208-226.
4. Livadaru C, Moscalu M, Ghitun FA, et al. Postoperative Quality Assessment Score Can Select Patients with High Risk for Locoregional Recurrence in Colon Cancer. Diagnostics (Basel) 2022; 12(2): 363.
5. Ghezzi CLA, Rahde C, Casagrande AS, Bianchin MM, Corleta OC, Ghezzi TL. Radio-surgical agreement on the inferior mesenteric artery ligation level in left colon and rectal cancer. Tech Coloproctol 2019; 23(7): 695-696 / doi: 10.1007/s10151-019-02021-x.
6. Wikner F, Matthiessen P, Sörelius K, Legrell P, Rutegård M. Discrepancy between surgeon and radiological assessment of ligation level of the inferior mesenteric artery in patients operated for rectal cancer-impacting registry-based research and surgical practice. World J Surg Oncol 2021; 19(1): 115.
7. Vogelsang RP, Gögenur M, Dencker D, Bjørn Bennedsen AL, Levin Pedersen D, Gögenur I. Routine CT evaluation of central vascular ligation in patients undergoing complete mesocolic excision for sigmoid colon cancer. Colorectal Dis 2021; 23(8): 2030-2040.
8. Prevot F, Sabbagh C, Deguines JB, et al. Are there any surgical and radiological correlations to the level of ligation of the inferior mesenteric artery after sigmoidectomy for cancer? Ann Anat 2013; 195(5): 467-474.
9. Munkedal DLE, Rosenkilde M, Nielsen DT, Sommer T, West NP, Laurberg S. Radiological and pathological evaluation of the level of arterial division after colon cancer surgery. Colorectal Dis 2017; 19(7): O238-O245.
10. Kaye TL, West NP, Jayne DG, Tolan DJ. CT assessment of right colonic arterial anatomy pre and post cancer resection - a potential marker for quality and extent of surgery? Acta Radiol 2016; 57(4): 394-400.
11. Long C, Feng M, Wang S, et al. A Clinicopathological Feature-Based Nomogram for Predicting the Likelihood of D3 Lymph Node Metastasis In Right-Sided Colon Cancer Patients. Dis Colon Rectum 2023; 66(1): 75-86 / doi: 10.1097/DCR.0000000000002160.
12. Mazzarella G, Muttillo EM, Picardi B, Rossi S, Muttillo IA. Complete mesocolic excision and D3 lymphadenectomy with central vascular ligation in right-sided colon cancer: a systematic review of postoperative outcomes, tumor recurrence and overall survival. Surg Endosc 2021; 35(9): 4945-4955.
13. Morarasu s, Frunza T, Bilavschi K, et al. Histopathology report on colon cancer specimens; measuring surgical quality, an increasing stress for surgeons. Journal of Mind and Medical Sciences 2018; 5(1): Article 12.
14. Morarasu S, O'Brien L, Clancy C, et al. A systematic review and meta-analysis comparing surgical and oncological outcomes of upper rectal, rectosigmoid and sigmoid tumors. Eur J Surg Oncol 2021; 47(9): 2421-2428.
15. Wang L, Hirano Y, Heng G, et al. Prognostic Utility of Apical Lymph Node Metastasis in Patients With Left-sided Colorectal Cancer. In Vivo 2020; 34(5): 2981-2989.
16. Peng J, Wu H, Li X, et al. Prognostic significance of apical lymph node metastasis in patients with node-positive rectal cancer. Colorectal Dis 2013; 15(1): e13-20.
17. Siani LM, Lucchi A, Berti P, Garulli G. Laparoscopic complete mesocolic excision with central vascular ligation in 600 right total mesocolectomies: Safety, prognostic factors and oncologic outcome. Am J Surg 2017; 214(2): 222-227.
18. Nagasaki T, Akiyoshi T, Fujimoto Y, Konishi T, Nagayama S, Fukunaga Y, Arai M, Ueno M. Prognostic Impact of Distribution of Lymph Node Metastases in Stage III Colon Cancer. World J Surg 2015; 39(12): 3008-3015.
19. Makkai-Popa ST, Luncă S, Târcoveanu E, Carasevici E, Dimofte G. Lymph node status assessed through the log odds ratio - a better tool in the prognosis of colorectal cancer relapse. Rom J Morphol Embryol 2014; 55(1): 97-102.
20. Chen JN, Liu Z, Wang ZJ, et al. Low ligation has a lower anastomotic leakage rate after rectal cancer surgery. World J Gastrointest Oncol 2020; 12(6): 632-641.
21. Feng W, Zong Y, Zhao J, et al. High versus low ligation of the inferior mesenteric artery during laparoscopic rectal cancer surgery: A prospective study of surgical and oncological outcomes. J Surg Oncol 2021; 123(Suppl 1): S76-S80.
22. Hajibandeh S, Hajibandeh S, Maw A. Meta-analysis and Trial Sequential Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials Comparing High and Low Ligation of the Inferior Mesenteric Artery in Rectal Cancer Surgery. Dis Colon Rectum 2020; 63(7): 988-999.
Once an article is accepted for publication, MSJ requests a transfer of copyrights for published articles.
COPYRIGHT TRANSFER FORM FOR
REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ A SOCIETĂȚII DE MEDICI ȘI NATURALIȘTI DIN IAȘI /
THE MEDICAL-SURGICAL JOURNAL OF THE SOCIETY OF PHYSICIANS AND NATURALISTS FROM IASI
We, the undersigned authors of the manuscript entitled
warrant that this manuscript, which is submitted for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, has not been published and it is not under consideration for publication in another journal.
- we give the consent for publication in the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in printed and electronic format and we transfer unconditioned and complete the copyright of this manuscript to the REVISTA MEDICO-CHIRURGICALĂ, in the event of its acceptance.
- the manuscript does not break the intellectual property rights of any other person.
- we have read the submitted version of the manuscript and we are fully responsible for the content.
Names and signatures of authors / copyright owners (the following sequence is the authorship of the article):
N.B. All the authors must sign this form